School of Military Affairs, Strategy and History (SMASH)
Raksha Shakti University (RSU) plans to set up the School of Military Affairs, Strategy and History (SMASH) to offer academic, research and training programs in military affairs, strategy, history for civilians, serving and retired military and paramilitary officers. Concomitantly the RSU aims to provide vital intellectual and research input to the Government of India, military and paramilitary forces, departments engaged in national security.
The School of Military Affairs, Strategy and History (SMASH) at the RSU will provide opportunity to study war from a multi-disciplinary perspective, from statecraft to strategy, deterrence and warfighting, strategic leadership and communication, military technology and capability development, military history and media. SMASH will help the participants to develop skills that will enhance employability, aid professional-career development and help preparation for postgraduate studies and research. An underlying theme in the functioning of SMASH will be promotion of gender balance in security professions.
In its pursuit for excellence, SMASH will develop close relationships with military training institutions, other academic institutions, defence industry, industry bodies, research and development organisations, think-tanks, and policy-making bodies in India and around the world. Specific initiatives will be undertaken to promote regional security cooperation amongst SAARC, BIMSTEC, ASEAN and SCO countries.
In order to promote strategic culture, SMASH will conduct sensitisation sessions for elected representatives at the Centre and State.
To begin with the School of Military Affairs, Strategy and History (SMASH) will provide the following programs: –
- Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Defence and Strategic Studies(Honours/Regular Course) – Three years.
- Post Graduate Diploma in National Security and Military Affairs – One year.
- Certificate Course in Statecraft, War and Strategy.
- Certificate Course in Military Technology.
- Certificate Course in Defence Acquisition.
- Certificate Course in Military History and Media.
- Certificate Course in Counter Insurgency and Counter Terrorism
- Certificate Course in Military Legal Studies.
Progressively the School will provide Post Graduate Degree Programme in Defence and Strategic Studies, M Phil, Ph D and other specialised diploma and certificate courses in the same domain. Like wise bridge programs that could facilitate career entry and career transition will be progressively introduced.
SMASH will undertake extension programs in Schools for promoting national security with a view to shape young minds and enhance intake into the security forces. Emphasis on participation of girl students is imperative.
- Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Defence and Strategic Studies:
- Post Graduate Diploma in National Security and Military Affairs
- Certificate Course in Statecraft, War and Strategy:
- Certificate Course in Regional Security Cooperation:
- Certificate Course in Military Technology:
- Certificate Course in Defence Acquisition:
- Certificate Course in Military History and Journalism:
- Certificate Course in Counter Insurgency and Counter Terrorism:
- Certificate Course in Military Legal Studies:
To develop skills to understand national security issues, contemporary and emerging threats, and power to deal with security challenges. Provide the academic foundations towards building India’s strategic culture.
To provide specific skills necessary for security analysts covering Statecraft, War and Strategy, Military Technology, Defence Acquisition, Military History and Strategic Communications.
To provide knowledge on Theory of War, Geostrategy, Geopolitics, and Military Geography. To develop understanding of Strategic Environment, International Relations, Regional Security, Contemporary and Emerging Threats and Application of Military Power.
To advance regional security cooperation by building capacity of regional security partners such as SAARC, BIMSTEC and others to respond to shared challenges.
To provide broad understanding of military weapons and equipment technology, health and life sciences pertaining to military profession.
To provide ability to analyse long term perspective plans. Develop understanding on defence procurement policy and process, logistics, supply chain, and life cycle management.
To provide knowledge on India’s military history and geography, India’s defence forces and their functions, military communications and media.
To provide knowledge on terrorism and insurgency ideologies, strategy and tactics, subversion including propaganda.Understanding of counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations particularly in India, and the centrality of population.
To provide knowledge on law and rules governing military operations to include Constitution of India, International Humanitarian Law, Human Rights, Armed Forces Special Powers Act and Court rulings thereupon.
The programs will help the participants to develop skills that will enhance employability, aid professional-career development, career transition and postgraduate studies and research. The programs are designed to benefit:
- Students seeking careers in security forces including defence and military forces, intelligence services.
- Students seeking career in think-tanks and research institutions.
- Extension course for National Cadet Corps.
- Professionals in defence industries and research and development agencies.
- Journalists seeking specialisation in national security and defence.
- In service officers, JCOs and Other ranks in the armed forces and the paramilitary forces to develop expertise by gaining recognition and building upon their professional military courses.
- Indian Foreign Service, Indian Administrative and Allied Services involved in National Security assignments.
- Procurement executives/officials in the MoD, MHA, Indian Defence Accounts Services, DRDO, DPSU, OFB and industry.
- Veterans and potential veterans from the armed forces and the paramilitary forces seeking career transition into defence industry, academia, think-tanks.
The programs will be conducted by a lean core faculty comprising four to five members drawn from professionals in the domain. Extensive utilisation of guest speakers, workshop, seminars and online tools will be made. Facility for distance education with minimum essential contact programs particularly for in-service members will be worked out.
Opportunities will be provided for the students to take part in immersion programs to get first hand knowledge of operating environment and perspectives of the security forces.
Lt Gen Subrata Saha, PVSM, UYSM, YSM, VSM** (Retd), Member NSAB