- Born: June 1979 in La Paz, Bolivia
- Nationality: Bolivian
- Address: Av. Escultor No. 890-C (Cota Cota, La Paz-Bolivia)
- Mobile: (+591) 715-23811
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://universidadnur.academia.edu/FranzZubietaMariscal
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/franz-zubieta-mariscal-928a36155
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MariscalFranz
|08/1998 – 12/2002||Bachelor´s Degree in Law, (Upper second-class honors: 64.11%) Mayor de San Andrés University–La Paz, Bolivia (Major in International Law)|
|02/2004 – 12/2007||Bachelor´s Degree in Political Science (First-class honors: 83.11%), San Andrés University– La Paz, Bolivia (Major in Public Administration)|
|02/2008 – 12/2009||Master´s Degree in Diplomacy and International Relations (Firstclass honors: 90.7%)- Diplomatic Academy of Bolivia – Ministry of Foreign Affairs – La Paz, Bolivia|
|08 to 26 July 2013||Summer Course in Public International, Hague Academy of International Law – Netherlands, The Hague.||Summer Course in Public International, Hague Academy of International Law – Netherlands, The Hague.||The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme, Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs – Netherlands, The Hague.|
|09 to 11 October 2014||Intensive Course “Critical Approaches to the International Law of Foreign Investments”, Los Andes University – Colombia, Bogotá.|
|06 to 24 July 2015||51st Session of the International Law Seminar, United Nations International Law Commission – Switzerland, Geneva.|
|23 July to 18 August 2017||Summer Course on the Law of the Sea and Maritime Law at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Class 2017), International Foundation for the Law of the Sea – Hamburg, Germany.|
|02 to 13 July 2018||Summer Academy of Theory and Practice on the Law of the Sea Focusing on the Transition Era of the Deep Seabed Mining, Center for the Rule of Ocean Law Studies & Center for Polar and Deep Ocean Development (Shanghai Jiao Tong University) – Shanghai, China.|
|November 2018||The European Union Visitors Program, awarded by the European Parliament and the European Commission – Brussels, Belgium and Strasbourg, France.|
|09 to 14 June 2019||Executive Education Program “Leadership in Decision Making”, Harvard University (Harvard Kennedy School) – Boston. United States of America.|
|20 to 22 Nov. 2019||Octopus Conference on Cooperation against Cybercrime: “Evidence in cyberspace” (Council of Europe) – Palais de l’Europe, Strasbourg, France.|
|1/2020|| Currently General Manager & Senior Legal Advisor Mariscal & Mariscal Law Firm LLP |
Main duties: Legal advisory specialized in international dispute resolution (investment protection, human rights, law of the sea, trade and inter-state disputes).
|03/2017 to 11/2019||Director-General of International Law Ministry of Justice and Institutional Transparency of Bolivia.
Main duties: Research team leader responsible for providing legal advice in human rights (elaboration of State reports to Treaty Bodies), international cooperation, settlement of international disputes and negotiation in the field of human rights and justice.
|04 to 09 of 2016||Deputy-General Attorney of Advice, Research and Normative Production General Attorney Office of Bolivia |
Main duties: Team leader responsible of legal advisory, research and normative production related to international law, human rights and resolution of international disputes (negotiation, conciliation, arbitration and judicial settlement before International Tribunals).
|02/2015 to 04/2016|| Director-General of International Arbitration and Judicial Defense of the State General Attorney Office of Bolivia |
Main duties: Organize and lead research teams to provide legal advisory in various cases before the International Court of Justice1, Permanent Court of Arbitration2, International Chamber of Commerce3, International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes4 and Inter-American Court of Human Rights
|05/2014 to 12/2014||Professional Specialized in International Law Office of the Deputy-General Attorney of Defense and Legal Representation of the State General Attorney Office of Bolivia |
Main duties: Legal research in international investment law and arbitration.
|07/2012 to 02/2014||Director-General of International Legal Research and Analysis Strategic Maritime Vindication Directorate of Bolivia Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bolivia |
Main duties: Research team leader responsible for providing legal advice in international law and resolution of international disputes in the cases: (a) “Obligation to Negotiate an Access to Pacific Ocean” (Bolivia vs. Chile) and (b) “Dispute over the Status and Use of the Waters of the Silala” (Chile v. Bolivia), both before the International Court of Justice.
|02 to 07 of 2012||Head of the Unit of Legal Analysis of Maritime Affaires Strategic Maritime Vindication Directorate of Bolivia Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bolivia
Main duties: Team leader of legal research in the field of law of the sea and international obligations in the case “Obligation to Negotiate an Access to Pacific Ocean” (Bolivia vs. Chile).
|07/2011 to 02/2012|| Professional Specialized in International Law Unit of Legal Analysis of Maritime Affaires Strategic Maritime Vindication Directorate of Bolivia Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bolivia
Main duties: Legal research in international law (law of the sea, international obligations, land-locked States and international adjudication).
|01 to 10 of 2010|| Head of the National Department of Legal Advice “Caja Petrolera de Salud” (Health Insurance Fund) Ministry of Health of Bolivia
Main duties: Team leader of the legal advice department.
|08/2008 to 06/2009||Legal Advisor of the Department of Religious Organizations and Non-profits Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bolivia
Main duties: Legal advisory in international law and administrative law.
|2006-2007|| Human Rights Pro-Bono Lawyer Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia
Main duties: Provide pro-bono legal assistance for human right abuse cases.
|2006 – currently||Undergraduate and Postgraduate University Lecturer in the area of International Law.
- Bolivian member before the Working Group of High Level Expert on the Settlement of Investment Matters (Union of South American Nations – UNASUR) 2014-2015.
- Bolivian member before the Technical Committee of Justice (Southern Common Market – MERCOSUR) 2017 – 2018.
- High Level Ministerial Delegation before the Government of the Republic of India (New Delhi) to promote investments opportunities in Bolivia July 2016.
- Bolivian representative before the High-Level Human Rights Authorities and Foreign Ministries (Southern Common Market – MERCOSUR) 2017 to 2019.
- National Coordinator before the Conference of Ibero-American Ministers of Justice (COMJIB) and member of the Ad Hoc Working Group for the Creation of the Legal Committee of Ibero-American International Law 2017-2019.
- 2019: Grant from The Harvard University (Harvard Kennedy School) to participate in Executive Education Program “Leadership in Decision Making” (Boston, UEA).
- 2019: Distinguished by the Bolivian Government as national candidate at the United Nations Committee against Torture.
- 2018: Awarded by the European Union to participate at The European Union Visitors Programme that recognize him as a “promising young leader and opinion molder” (Brussels, Belgium and Strasbourg, France).
- 2018: Scholarship from the International Seabed Authority to participate in the Summer Academy of Theory and Practice on the Law of the Sea (Shanghai, China).
- 2017: Scholarship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany to participate in the Summer Course on the Law of the Sea and Maritime Law at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Class 2017), organized by International Foundation for the Law of the Sea (Hamburg, Germany).
- 2015: Scholarship from the United Nations Office at Geneva to attend Seminar on Public International Law of the United Nations International Law Commission (Geneva, Switzerland).
- 2014: Scholarship from the United Nations to attend simultaneously the International Law Fellowship Program and the Summer Academy of Public International Law at The Hague Academy of International Law (The Hague, Netherlands).
- 2013: Scholarship from The Hague Forum Foundation to attend the Summer Course in Public International Law at The Hague Academy of International Law – (The Hague, Netherlands).
- 2008 – 2009: Scholarship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Plurinational State of Bolivia to participate in the Master’s Degree in Diplomacy and International Relations at the Diplomatic Academy of Bolivia (La Paz, Bolivia).
- 2008: First Class Honors of the Law and Political Sciences Faculty of San Andrés University for having achieved the academic degree of Political Science with the highest academic distinctions (La Paz, Bolivia).
- Handbook on the Law of Treaties: History, Theory and Diplomatic Practice. Under editorial review, forthcoming 2020 (Spanish)
- Comparative Study and Proposal of a Statute for the Creation of the Legal Committee of International Law in Ibero-America. Published by Conference of Ministers of Justice of Ibero-American Countries, 2018 (Spanish)
- Bolivia in The Hague: Informative text on the historical and legal arguments of Bolivia´s maritime claim. (Co-author: H. Arce Zaconeta). Published by The Ministry of Justice and Institutional Transparency of Bolivia, 2018 (Spanish)
- The Two Faces of Janus: Conflict and Investment Projects in A. Kent, T. Gazzini and E. Brabandere (eds.) Public Participation and Foreign Investment Law: From Creation ofRights and Obligations to the Settlement of Disputes (Ed. Brill – Nijhoff Publishers, Netherlands) forthcoming 2020.
Academic and Press Articles
- The Absolute Prohibition of Torture under International Law (La Gaceta Jurídica, 2019).
- The Right of Consular Assistance (Transparent Justice Magazine – 2018).
- The Progressive Development of Human Rights in Latin America through the Pact of San José de Costa Rica (Transparent Justice Magazine, 2018).
- The Codification and Progressive Development of International Law (Transparent Justice Magazine, 2018).
- The Cathartic Power of the Bolivian Maritime Claim (Political Animal Magazine – La Razón Newspaper of April 16, 2017)
- History of the Law of Treaties (La Gaceta Jurídica, 2018).
- The International Court of Justice: peacekeeper, guarantor and guardian (Sea for Bolivia Magazine, 2013).
- The landlocked status of Bolivia: a sui generis case in the world (Sea for Bolivia Magazine, 2012).
- Legal Basis to fulfill OAS Resolutions (Sea for Bolivia Magazine, 2012).
- Droits de l’homme en Turquie: Un devoir urgent et irrésolu avec L’Union Européenne (Apuntes Internacionales, Diplomatic Academy of Chile, 2009).
- The Korean Reunification: A Chimera? (Diplomatic Academy of Bolivia, 2010).
- Affirmative action: equalize by discriminating? (Journal of Political Analysis, Nuestra Señora de la Paz University, 2010).
- International Ethics: An imperative in the exercise of international politics (UNESCO Project “Universal Ethics”, 2009).
- The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties of 1969: essential treaty for the international legal defense of the Bolivian State (Bolivian Diplomatic Academy, 2019).
- Reality and perspectives of the institutional and academic system of intellectual property in Bolivia (Mayor de San Andrés University, Faculty of Law and Political Science, 2005).